Saturday, December 13, 2008

too many things to say

I have to be comfortable in my own skin, know what I'm good at, and keep working at it. So i'm an interdisciplinary thinker, So I ought to go in that direction of knowing what lies at the interface of different fields, like science and society being one of them - and all the minute details where I might find the meeting places. That's something I'm interested in. And the *trick* is to communicate all the possible strange things that happen at the interface.

For example, I started work with two essays, one was about knots and the way we think, the other was about understanding the weird concepts in science using the analogy of love and human relationships. Those things seem promising, and I'm on the lookout for other interesting mashups between things from different disciplines.

Michael Pollan wrote before, about how drugs might have spurred philosophy through altered states of mind, and how religions could also have been affected by it. It is noted that witchcraft was often associated with wild mushrooms, and some sort of fungus was known to cause hysteria within a population. So... that was pretty interesting.

I am not exactly interested in social issues perse, its just another hobby of sorts, a hobby I pursue half-seriously nowadays. Now that I'm in that perpetual state of one-foot-in-the-door, i don't really care. Its something that I can enter into, but its either the timing isn't right, or its just not my temperament or disposition. oh wells. I'm better off at writing.

So I ask God, WHAT CAN I DO? I consider my options, and I see none. I think I addressed some of these things in an earlier post, but its going to be a recurring question that I have to answer again and again. I think about chemistry and think about making new stuff, and that is definitely something open for me - to look for new materials, new bases for our everyday life, and other energy-related problems, such as a high-energy-density power pack, tougher and biodegradable materials, and things like that.

As for being an intellectual surrounded by piles of paper and books and writing and writing, thats a less-likely kind of position, but it might be in a consulting position probably, which is also quite likely, possibly a science-correspondent of sorts, but I realise now that as long as you are good at writing, and have attained the basics of the craft, the rest of life is just one road to become better and better, to write to capture the imagination of others, to communicate an idea, to change the world through the changing and turning of minds.

I could continue collaborating with Shaun on an ad-hoc basis, by thinking about ways to change the way people think and access to information, by thinking about interactive mindmaps and such - helping people to make sense of things in the world and in their lives. The barrage of information out there is waiting for some attempt to organise it. I hope Shaun and I can be the first, or one of the first, or be there helping someone who can be the first.

And one of the other things. Gotta keep on reading. listen to my own advice, do what i love - reading and thinking.

tired.

blog comments powered by Disqus