notes from the conference - The Obliteration of Memory
I was at a conference about international development in Africa and Asia - a small one, almost insignificant one, and it surprisingly led me to insights about SG.
Met new friends too, which is always nice. And I shall change my blogging habits. Shall try to condense thoughts in a more readable fashion.
Alright. Was at the conference about urban planning and all, and heard a lot about what SG was doing. Took some field trips to cool places that I would want to go to!
Was at the Barrage, then realised that the old kite flying open space was gone. A childhood memory gone! Then it led me to think about the small estate near Kallang MRT that was gone too!
No wonder SG doens't have identity, because things change TOO fast! There is no inter-generation connection, where the old can say something, and the young can see it! My parents point to a patch of growth, and say its the kampung where the grew up in - I can't connect! There is something said about the need for some symbols, some manifestation of an idea or a memory that is so vital for linkages. But as things change so fast, memories become lost, and people can't attach themselves to a place when the place itself changes. No wonder there is no attachment to SG - no rootedness at all. How can a collective social memory emerge when there is nothing to based these memories on?
But I know that change is still required. Schools need to be destroyed relocated, or simply closed down. Facelifts and upgraded are still needed. But the centuries-old European cities? How did they do it?
I remember standing at the open space, where my primary school friends used to live in, had fun in. Its all gone now...