Monday, May 04, 2009

reflecting on social activism

Lord I have dawdled the time away when I could have done something more meaningful... worship is one, serious devotion is another. Decent reflection is yet another.

(and now strangely it transits into reflection on social change)

Lord, You know how tired I am of the phrases such as 'changemaker' and 'social change'. These things have become so overused (at least for me), that they are hollowed out of meaning. I'm not sure aht to do regarding activism now. But still, a portion of my soul still yearns for social justice, for people to lead more meaningful lives, for people to have a decent shot at education and a fulfilling life. Thats social change for me, and its so different from the values-based notion of social change that some people might have, not all of them, definitely ('freedom?!?', 'democracy?!?'). or even specific causes. Yes, values and causes have their place in society, but not everyone is keen on them. And besides society is not about the values in themselves, but the lives that live out whatever values they hold most dear, or simply their lives as they live everyday. Father, I think thats the measure of real-ness, to be real, to live out love.

--- then i wandered off-topic---

But now, as I blog about it, I want to add: that the society that I wish to see, is a love-based society, of sensitivity and tolerance, no matter the religion.

Also, ref: http//www.eddiechoo.wordpress.com

blog comments powered by Disqus