Friday, September 25, 2009

3 letters and The Answer - Corrinne May

I like Corrinne May's song - The Answer - from her album, The Gift. Its a Christmas album, but anyhow, there's this song that has stuck with me...


I believe You are the answer to every tear I’ve cried
I believe that you are with me,
My rising and my light.

Give me strength when I am weary
Give me hope when I can’t see
Through the crosses I must carry
Lord, bind my heart to thee

That when all my days are over
and all my chores are done,
I may see your risen Glory
Forever where You are.

I realise that when I talk about the 3 letters, it strikes something deep somewhere. I think about the time that I have left in this university, and I realise that the song need not refer to life in its entirety, but could be applicable to specific stages in life.

That when all my days are over need not mean the end of life, but the end of a phase. when my days are over in where I am, and all my chores are done - when all that I've wanted to do is done; I may see Your risen Glory, Forever where You are - will I?

Give me strength when I am weary - I have been so weary, so tired, will others understand? The communications to various people; crafting, conceptualising emails, withstanding criticisms, debate, every cut, injury, every little dying away - thats how it feels like sometimes...

Give me hope when I can't see - Is it all worth it? Will all that I do make a difference to anything? What if nothing needs to be done at all?

Through the crosses I must carry - All of it is a burden, the thoughts within, bearing it all, yet all of it is still necessary. The conversation has to start. If not me, will there be anyone? Should the current situation continue? Things can, and must be better, no? A fairer, and more equitable situation, more space to those who want more, respect to those who choose different paths. It is not the choice between better or worse, or good and bad, but between different paths altogether. That despite differences, we can still learn together, because making meaning is what we all want to do.

Lord, bind my heart to thee - well... I guess then, this is about for whom the heart beats for. I believe that there are answers, if not, the answer.


blog comments powered by Disqus