and elaboration about what I twittered
I was on a bus, and i overheard a bunch of people yakking away. They were talking about some Chinese trip they had, and they were proud that they didn't understand the Chinese menu. These kids had become so removed from their supposed Chinese culture there they were able to relate better to Japanese culture. And so, there led me to wonder about this state of culture and identity in Singapore. It led me to think about what exactly is Singapore culture about. Is it about this easy movement between different cultures? Or is that simply mean that there is no real Singapore culture? the kids were actually laughing about their inability to understand Chinese which was supposed to be their native tongue. have we become a society that disregards our traditions? Or are these traditions simply a burden to our present and future? I know that this polarity is probably an illusion because people do want certain aspects of their tradition. Maybe the question of Singapore identity doesn't really exist, maybe it is just a false conflict conjured by the ruling powers to make Singaporeans insecure about their own identity. Maybe it is just a ploy for Singaporeans to stay in Singapore and contribute to the ruling powers through this indoctrination of a crisis of identity. Maybe there is no need to even ask this question of identity. Maybe we can just let things be. And I shouldn't moralize about what people want to do with their lives and instead just tried to live my life as best as I can. I guess this is a decent resolution to the conflicts that I think exists in the Singapore identity and in society. This post-modernist thread of thinking has only recently came into being because of the class that I am attending right now. It has made me begin to think about the structures, concepts, and ideologies that exists in Singapore society. Why do I still feel this sense of obligation to this country that I don't seriously believe in? It is weird that I am even thinking like that. It is a stretch of the imagination to think that all of these conceptions of society, Nations, and the world are a development of the mind that has evolved and developed through many millennia and ages. could all of this be even real?
Not trying to sound existential angst-y, but just some of the funny thoughts going through my head.
Note this was done mostly by dictation using Mac speech Dictate
Not trying to sound existential angst-y, but just some of the funny thoughts going through my head.
Note this was done mostly by dictation using Mac speech Dictate