8th july 2007 NS poem
I thought Live Earth was a disappointment. it was one of those stupid events where people won't think about it immediately after. looks like 'the assault on reason' to me. people go there just because its a happening event, where they can get close to their stars. arh well. its very sad if people don't think about the issues at stake here. look at live8. people think that was the end for africa's assistance. sigh.. these efforts should be sustained - there should be people continually working towards the solutions for the issues... sigh...
anyway...
I wrote a poem a while back. So I'm putting it here.
Thinking about NS. For the disillusioned warrior
Once we were together,
once in our lives,
2 years of our time.
We have always wondered,
the meaning of it all,
why we hold our guns.
The answer given could not satisfy.
The longing remained still,
to quieten our hearts.
They said,
we did all we did,
to defend our country,
to defend what we hold dear.
They said,
unless you can protect
what we hold dear,
we can't say that we have it.
In this new, new world,
is it really true?
The nonsense of an olden time,
still clinging onto us,
everytime we hold the gun,
everytime we slept,
under the starry, starry skies.
What we hold dear,
what we truly hold dear,
will always be in us,
will always be with us.
What we have lies in us,
no one can take or destroy.
We believe in this country not,
we merely ride on it,
as this country rides,
on the rest of the world.
What we hold dear,
is this country not.
what we hold dear,
is beyond this soil,
beyond the land.
We serve no ideal,
nor in her cause.
We do what we have to,
simply because we are told to.
They say,
do you care not for your lives?
When the guns of others point towards your loves?
Will you then not protect those you love?
With regard my life,
I protect.
For those I love,
Die I would.
But I will die not for the country's cause,
I die only for the love I have,
for the happiness of those I love,
not for flag, nor for glory.
For what is a flag,
but a piece of cloth?
For what glory I die for?
The only glory I desire,
that I merely tried to protect hose I love.
Yes, for this reason I take up the gun,
for this reason I sleep,
under the starry, starry skies,
in the cold, cold night.
These are long, long days,
and long, long nights.
Where boredom reigns,
and indifference rules,
where absurdity is supreme.
As the sun sets,
and the moon rises,
as the skies darken,
and the lights come on,
all we ask for,
is for all these to end,
when we may truly rest.
These times,
pass without purpose, it seems.
The world toils on,
with or without is.
What pride is there,
for the things we do?
Only the slender assurance,
that we now are able,
to protect those we love.