Sunday, November 11, 2007

11th november 2007 dispatches from the heartland?

I'm not sure if this is entirely valid, but once again, another idea?

This is a bit kind of personal, but I'm thinking that this phenomenon
is a real thing and its happening in many lives in Singapore. I call
this, the 'tyranny of the Tradition Bounded Family (TBF)'. And the
source of the tragedy is what happens when a member of the family
decides to leave or even forsake all the tradition, and finding
themselves crumbling under the weight of tradition bearing down on
them. The pain and drama that inevitably happens when individuals
decide they no longer relate to that identity and find new ones that
clashes with the old...

From another perspective, I believe that the preservation of this
group is one of the objectives of the PAP. Once this group withers
away, the traditions of our current society that has maintained the
PAP's dominance will wither away as well. Hopefully, this will lead to
something good - finally, a citizenry truly free enough to feel and
act on their freedoms to really think and participate in the social
and political processes of our country.

But what traditions am I referring to? Tradition - the environment of
ideas we grew up in, the rituals of worship, of the dialects, of the
customs of everyday...

There are so many intangibles in Singapore society but they seemed to
be all papered over and not explored further.

The fact is that dialect is the overwhelming choice of language at
home. Its small wonder that both our chinese/indian/malay/english are
really sort of bastardized. But why is that the case despite batches
of English education? Our education of English created a generation of
sort-of 'pidgin' speakers who in turn passed it on to their children.
Or at least thats what I think.

I think in the end, has anyone really bothered to look beyond the
surface of everyday Singapore life?

blog comments powered by Disqus