Reflecting on Psalm 139
Psalm 139: 13 - 16
In these few verses, observe how God has created each and everyone of us. Like dealing with something intricate, we are "fearfully and wonderfully made". Imagine the watchmaker inserting the most intricate mechanism into the watch - how fearful the watchmaker must be, yet how wonderful too - for the watchmaker to put that mechanism in place and set the watch in motion. Perhaps it is in that spirit that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made"... Imagine the horror if the intricate parts were displaced - the fears would be realised, but the wonder unfulfilled. Here, God is given emotions, but perhaps these analogies of emotions are the expressions of a divine love that God is as He created each of us.
Verse 15
My frame was not hidden from You
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in Your book before one of them came to be,
I had a thought here, and I want to argue that well, we were created for His pleasure, for His joy. And part of that joy involves our service for the Great Commission, but our mere existence, His creation of us - that alone is a source of His joy. That we live - that alone is already a form of worship.
Here the watch analogy breaks down - we are sentient beings, created by Him for His joy and purpose, that our very lives alone is our reason for being. We don't need any additional purpose to live - by living our lives in His presence - that alone is our purpose. Any other purpose we have is secondary, given entirely by His grace alone.
As the exams end, I know that my exams are taken care by Him already. And as I look forward to an exciting holiday, I know that He is there with me already. That I am fearfully and wonderfully made - this is enough for me, for now, and forever.