Sunday, March 21, 2010

an annual report, of sorts...

How do i feel now?

I feel weird.

Future studies/approaches/saving the world
I feel that I’ve tried many things approaching my dreams, and almost all of them have faded or withered away. I’ve wondered about how the world gets changed - and I’ve seen it. I’ve seen how people approached the future, and how they managed it. I’ve seen how much further I have to go to arrive at that stage of intervention, and I’m now clearer about how to get there. For now, postgraduate studies in Knowledge/Information Management, public policy or future studies appear to be most relevant. The other component would include keep constant tabs in the local context - the focus on Singapore remains. These plans are still 2-4 years away. This is my own way of answering the question: “how to change the world for the better”, which for me, is how to act in it for a better future.

I have an issue for the present though. Do I go ahead with the sabbatical - to look at the policy, historical context of other countries, to examine their assumptions? What do I here in the meantime? Continue to study damn hard, continue to maintain good ties with instructors, and continue to make friends, to continue this Christian journey... - anything else?

Intervention in USP
Concerning USP, preparations for the future. Admin has decided that only the student management committee should take the lead, and so the space for spontaneous student engagement is limited. I will continue to introduce scenario planning for USP, knowing it’s limitations, without the knowledge of statistics of the student body. I will continue to draw people into USP networks - the creation of strong ties between students of different batches, between current students and alumni, and with the external contacts outside.

My own academics
Other than future studies/policy planning and others mentioned above, I still remain interested in Actor-Network Theory and Sociology of Science...

TED
Is a TED event possible at NUS? I still believe so. A major TED event could a catalyst for... everything else in a way that singly-themed events cannot.

blog comments powered by Disqus